Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Get Involved, Get Inspired.

One of the best ways to keep yourself inspired is to get involved in your community. Whether you volunteer at a local food bank or participate in a club at your school, interaction with your peers can provide an invaluable source of inspiration.

As a Humber College student, I am blessed with the opportunity to give back to the Humber College community by being a Peer Mentor. As a peer mentor, my main objective is to connect with students who are new to Humber College and introduce them to the school’s environment in a fun and positive manner. Most of these students are still in high school and are completing a dual credit course which allows them to simultaneously earn a high school credit and a college credit. Each semester I am paired up with a new student and we spend an hour per week exploring the campus and checking out school events.

Being a peer mentor has not only allowed me to give back to my community but it has also given me the opportunity to learn about myself. By actively engaging in my school’s community, I have a renewed sense of inspiration and motivation that pushes me when I feel I can’t go any further.

As a part of this post, we interviewed Melanie Chai, a Peer Program facilitator at Humber College. If your interested in becoming a Peer Mentor and you are a Humber College student visit  http://www.humber.ca/getinvolved/ and click on Leadership.

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to volunteer for a good cause. Your post has inspired me!

    ReplyDelete